Biography of Château d'Arche - Grand Cru Classé 1855, Sauternes
Château d’Arche was created in 1580 by Henry d’Arche, dean of the city of Bordeaux. At the time, his wines were already some of the most famous Sauternes. During the 1789 Revolution, the Château was taken over by the state and it was another two centuries before the estate was reunified. Château d’Arche joined the Grand Cru Classé classification in1855.
Located 40km south of Bordeaux, on the upper parts of the village of Sauternes, Château d’Arche is built on the summit of hills which overlook its prestigious neighbors, notably Yquem and Guiraud. This exceptional location, along with its varied soils, favors wines with very specific taste qualities: strength from the gravel soils, aromas from the clays and elegance from the alluvium. Its uniqueness which gives it all of its richness is based on where the vines are planted, entirely on slopes on 53 hectares.